👉 Subscribe now: https://bit.ly/2mmB5LR
In this post you can Learn English through cooking with English teacher John. Watch the video and complete the worksheet to learn English with English vocabulary and English grammar through cooking.
English Cooking Corner 1: Chicken Soup Worksheet
Recipe Vegetables Onion Celery
Carrot Chop Peel Rough
Chunk Cube Prepare Bone
Fat Herb Stir Simmer
1. Herb a. any of the hard parts inside a human or animal that make up its frame
2. Vegetables b. a roughly cut piece
3. Recipe c. a set of instructions telling you how to prepare and cook food
4. Bone d. a plant, root, seed, or pod that is used as food
5. Chunk e. to remove the skin of fruit and vegetables
6. Simmer f. a solid or liquid substance from animals or plants and used especially in cooking
7. Prepare g. to cut something into pieces with an axe, knife, or other sharp instrument
8. Fat h. a type of plant whose leaves are used in cooking to give flavor
9. Chop i. to make or get something or someone ready
10. Peel j. to cook something liquid, or something with liquid in it, at a temperature slightly below boiling
Fill in the blanks
1. To cook the food, you need to follow the directions in the ______________.
2. We need to ______________ the soup for one hour.
3. Carrots have skin on them, so we need to ______________ them.
4. Carrots, celery, and onions are all ______________.
5. Thyme and marjoram are both ______________.
Listening Practice (Listen and fill in the blanks)
1. To start, let’s look at the ____________ we will use. We will use one onion, two ribs of celery, and two ____________ carrots. Make sure you wash the celery, because it can be dirty _____________.
2. For our celery, we want to chop it a bit ____________. I don’t like big ___________ of celery, so I chop it into cubes like this. This is called cubing. So, you need to ____________ the celery like I show here.
3. You’ll also want to get your _____________. For this recipe I’m using 4 bone-in chicken thighs. These work well because of the ____________, ____________, and, ____________ in the thighs. You can also use one whole chicken. Let’s go see what we’ll use to cook with.
4. Once the soup is ____________, NOT ____________, reduce the heat to low, like this, and cover the soup with the lid. Okay, we are going to cook the soup like this for ____________. You can check on the soup a few times, and stir it a bit, but I like to just let it cook for 1 hour without touching it.
5. This soup is very ____________. It tastes ____________, ____________, and deep in flavor. It reminds me of something my mother would make. This is also very healthy! You can also add some cooked ____________ to it, or some rice. I’m going to add some noodles. Wow, that tastes great! I hope you enjoyed today’s lesson and recipe!